A doula is a mother for the mother during birth
Woman-centred care is at the heart of my doula work and I bring this awareness into all the support I provide my clients. I’m passionate about conscious birth and motherhood and I provide parents with individualised support to meet their needs during this sacred time. I have extensive knowledge and experience working holistically with birth and breath.
Some of the support I offer mothers and/or couples are:
- emotional and spiritual support
- relaxation and mindfulness skills
- presence, empathy and deep listening
- allow space for emotion and expression
- education on breath and birth physiology
- support partners to support the birthing mother
- physical support, such as light touch or counterpressure
- witness mothers and couples on their journey into parenthood
It seems that many health professionals involved in antenatal care have not realised that one of their roles should be to protect the emotional state of pregnant women.
I have supported mothers who have had a wide range of birth experiences and birth choices. It is my inner knowing that every birth experience equips the mother with what she needs for her own unique journey of motherhood.
How I work is unique to each individual mother
Some of my main areas of focus are:
- taking time to understand your prior knowledge or experiences in birth
- ensuring you feel deeply heard
- that you are aware of your choices
- that you are able to ask for what you need
- that you can share and express yourself
- supporting you to establish birth preferences and birth choices based around your personal values
- creating an environment where your body and mind feel connected and safe
It’s essential you feel you’ve chosen the right doula for you and your individual needs. For this reason, I offer a free 30-minute initial meeting, either face-to-face or via Skype, prior to being engaged as your doula.
If you are interested in doula support, please contact me.
What is the greatest lesson a woman should learn: that since day one, she’s already had everything she needs within herself, it’s the world that convinced her she did not.